Thank you for your interest in writing about Virginia. Virginia Tourism Corporation (VTC) welcomes visits by travel media and often provides assistance with itineraries and/or expenses to report on the tourism assets and attractions throughout the state.
We aim to send media on individual trips, as opposed to combining you with a handful of other media. The exception is when we want to promote a new product or destination. In that case, we often add media to a familiarization trip to help document the new experience and to create new content about it from the earliest stages.
VTC can provide some financial support for media depending on availability, however, as we are a state agency with a limited budget to work with each year, it is not always possible for us to provide a 100% fully-supported press trip. All financial support is determined on an individual basis.
If you are interested in a visit to Virginia, please review our Media Visit Guidelines (below) and fill out a Media Tour Request form. Due to a high volume of media visit requests, VTC will evaluate all media visit submissions on a case-by-case basis and may be unable to accommodate all requests.
TRAVEL MEDIA MUST PROVIDE
- At least 30 days notice in advance of a proposed visit, when possible. Certain dates may be restricted including peak travel times and holidays.
- A completed Virginia Visiting Media Form (download form here)
- A brief bio and 3 samples of recently published stories
- Letter of assignment and expected dates of coverage (priority will be given to media on assignment)
- Freelancers: Name of publications to which you plan to submit articles and their circulation numbers
- Bloggers: Please attach a screen capture of your latest analytics or media kit
- After the visit, an original copy of published article (print or website link) or video that resulted from your assisted visit. If media is unable to provide results from a sponsored press trip, VTC may be unable to assist with future visits.
VIRGINIA TOURISM CORPORATION WILL PROVIDE
- Itinerary: VTC will work with media to develop a customized itinerary of attractions, cultural venues and other points of interest based on interests and story ideas. VTC will arrange for admission to attractions, activities and events included in the itinerary, and will provide assistance with some meals.
- Lodging: VTC will provide complimentary rooms for media who have received pre-authorization. If media has not been pre-authorized, then it is up to the individual property to decide if services will be complimentary or at a reduced media rate. Accommodations are subject to availability.
- Air and Ground Transportation: VTC will provide complimentary airfare or train to Virginia and a complimentary rental car for on the ground travel to media who have received pre-authorization. If needed, a VTC staff member can accompany media and provide transportation to locations on the itinerary. Every effort will be made to accommodate, however, due to limited staff availability, an escorted tour cannot be guaranteed. Media must advise VTC staff in advance if they do not drive and require ground transportation for the entirety of their visit.
- Certain meals (will be noted on final itinerary):
- Alcohol: As a rule, alcohol is not covered unless otherwise specified.
- Gratuity: VTC will only reimburse tips up to 20%
- Group meals: No splitting of checks is allowed.
- Other Expenses will handled on a case by case basis.
- VTC will NOT cover:
- Hotel incidentals (VTC covers room and taxes only)
- Any expenses prior to or after the scheduled visit
- Tips for restaurant staff on complimentary meals (Tips aren’t required but encouraged)
- Any expenses for personal guests joining media on trip. Any guests traveling with media will be responsible for their own travel expenses.
- Any expenses labeled “On Your Own” on final itinerary (Meals and other expenses not complimentary during the visit will be clearly identified along with multiple recommendations)
For questions or more information of Media Visits to Virginia, contact the VTC Public Relations team.