Openings, events and other information on these pages may be canceled or postponed to a later date. Please check with the individual location or business for more details.
Statewide News and Major Openings
- With a projected opening in Summer 2024, the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Bristol will feature a 300-room hotel, five restaurants, four bars and lounges, new entertainment options, wedding and convention facilities, top-notch retailers, and an indoor and outdoor concert venue that will further solidify Bristol as the true “Birthplace of Country Music.” The casino will feature 1,500 slots, 55 tables, and a sportsbook.
- Caesars Virginia, a premier destination resort casino, is coming to Danville in 2024. Property plans include a 500-room hotel and a world-class casino gaming floor with over 1,300 slots, 85 live table games, 24 electronic table games, a WSOP poker room and a Caesars Sportsbook. In addition, the resort will feature a full-service spa, pool, high-quality bars and restaurants, a 2,500-seat state-of-the-art live entertainment theater and 40,000 square feet of meeting and convention space.
- The Virginia American Revolution 250 Commission (VA250) will commemorate the 250th anniversary of the American Revolution, the Revolutionary War, and the independence of the United States in the Commonwealth of Virginia, one of the former colonies and future states, where much of this history took place. The celebrations run through 2024 and the 250th anniversary of American Independence in 2026.
- The Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival celebrates its 100th anniversary April 26 – May 5, 2024 with the theme “Locally Grown, Globally Shared.” This is in reference to the farms and orchards that founded the Shenandoah Valley. Activities this year include an Apple Growers Luncheon, farm tours, and 100th birthday party, complete with apple pie.
- The Carter Family Fold is celebrating its 50th anniversary throughout 2024. Celebration concerts kick-off in March with special monthly concerts, leading up to a special “Appalachia Rising” concert in April 2024 and a big 50th Anniversary musical event on August 3, 2024.
- The Crooked Road Music Heritage Trail is celebrating its 20th anniversary in 2024 with special concerts, programs, and square dances across Southwest Virginia throughout the year. The Crooked Road is also joining in the celebration of the Carter Family Fold’s 50th Anniversary.
- 2024 marks the 50th anniversary for the Virginia Beach Neptune Festival. Celebrate the 50th Annual Boardwalk Weekend, September 27-29, with concerts scattered along 30+ blocks of the boardwalk, an Art & Craft Show with 200+ vendors, magnificent sand sculptures created by world-renowned international sculptors, an 8k race, a grand parade, and more.
Where to Stay in Virginia 2024
- Shenandoah Mansions will be the first boutique hotel in Richmond’s Fan neighborhood, opening Fall 2024. The 73-room hotel, the latest from New York City-based hotelier Ash, will feature a retail space and the third location of Ash–Bar, an all-day dining concept and European cafe.
- The Little Mod Hotel in Charlottesville opened in October 2023, steps away from the University of Virginia grounds. A mid-century modern building dating back to the 1960s, this hotel includes 20 brightly decorated rooms and apartment-style suites with vintage touches. The Mod Pod, an onsite converted airstream, serves up all-day breakfast, tasty tacos and delicious savory waffle cones.
- The Holbrook Hotel opened November 2023 in a former doctor’s office on Danville’s Main and Holbrook streets. The property offers 45 luxury suites with kitchenettes and a mid-century aesthetic.
- Nestled in the center of Historic Old Towne Petersburg, the reimagined Hotel Petersburg will open its doors in Summer 2024. A century in the making, the upscale boutique hotel will include 68 sleeping rooms with a restaurant, rooftop bar, and outdoor courtyard.
- Slated to open in the heart of Old Town Alexandria in May 2024, Hotel Heron is Aparium Hotel Group’s flagship adaptive-reuse development, located steps from the bustling King Street mile. Originally occupied from 1926 to 1971 by the George Mason Hotel, the new space includes 134 guest rooms and 30,000 square feet of hotel amenities, including a hearth-inspired restaurant offering Mid-Atlantic cuisine, a cozy cocktail bar, and a seasonal rooftop bar, as well as meeting space and ground floor retail.
Where to Eat & Drink in Virginia 2024
- The Richmond Region Mimosa Trail is the newest addition to Richmond’s food and drink scene. The self-guided tour has options for over 40 restaurants in the region that all feature delicious mimosas and brunch options.
- Selvedge Brewing, which has lived inside The Wool Factory since it opened in 2020, is moving to a new location in Charlottesville’s Bellair neighborhood. Selvedge will open in its new home January 2024.
- Harry’s at Hofheimer is a modern speakeasy-inspired restaurant focused on craft cocktails and innovative new American cuisine. Harry’s opened in October 2023 inside the iconic Hofheimer Building in Scott’s Addition in Richmond. The art deco-themed bar has a twist of modern style while paying homage to the character of its historic home. Custom commissioned portraits of famous people named Harry, created by local artist Todd Hale, adorn the entire 2,000 square foot restaurant.
- Fanboy, a cocktail bar and vinyl listening room with full kitchen, opened in November 2023 on Richmond’s Broad Street next door to parent restaurant Sabai. Fanboy also features a funky wine selection and an extensive non-alcoholic drink list.
- Rappahannock Oyster Co. plans to roll out its fifth oyster bar in the international terminal of Dulles International Airport in April 2024. The modern-meets-casual seafood eatery will feature 90 seats and a wraparound bar.
- Drift Restaurant and Bar and Muse Pizzeria and Arcade are coming to historic Colonial Beach in early 2024. Drift will offer an elevated seafood experience, and Muse will be a nod to the arcades that once lined the Colonial Beach boardwalk. Both will have outdoor seating along the waterfront. The restaurants are adjacent to the town pier and Hawthorn Street on the Potomac River.
- Aslin Beer Company’s new Virginia Beach brewery, located at 823 Virginia Beach Boulevard, is expected to open in March 2024.
- Stable Craft Brewing in Waynesboro will launch a new Hermitage Hill Cider in February 2024. Stable Craft’s new Heritage Hill Cider will appeal to an audience that enjoys ciders from sweet to dry, providing a gluten free option, and bringing beer and cider fans together. Stable Craft will also be offering an exclusive Vow Renewal with Elvis Impersonator package add-on to its private heated igloo rentals starting February 2024.
- Delta Blues will be expanding its footprint with the opening of a new location in Abingdon in 2024. The locally owned and operated, Memphis inspired BBQ restaurant and catering company’s original establishment is located on State Street in Bristol.
What to Do in Virginia 2024
- Quirk Hotel Charlottesville will host Root to Table’s Spring Culinary Celebration of Women, March 10-11, 2024, in recognition of Women’s History Month. The kickoff to Root to Table’s 2024 season begins with a salute to all the talented women in the culinary and agriculture industries. Sunday takes guests on a culinary journey where they will meet chefs, wine makers, farmers, and more. Monday programming includes an educational summit and brunch.
- Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden kicks off its 40th anniversary in 2024 with a year-long celebration featuring exquisite horticultural displays, art exhibits, community events, live music, and more, including: Contemporary American multi-disciplinary artist Kyle Epps as an artist-in-residence from April-September 2024. Epps’ work will explore the landscape and history of the Garden through a variety of mediums. Guests will be able to view the artwork in the Garden’s Community Art Gallery and Epps will also lead workshops.
- The Professional Disc Golf Association (PDGA) Professional Disc Golf World Championships are coming to Lynchburg, August 21-25, 2024. This will be the first ever PDGA World Championship held in Virginia.
- Glass Hollow, projected to open in Nelson County in September 2024, will be a unique destination where visitors can watch the magic of glass blowing, and peruse a gallery featuring celebrated local and national artists along the 151 Wine Trail. The venue is located on a beautiful 8-acre property with mountain and river views
- Loch Ness Monster, the iconic, registered landmark interlocking loop rollercoaster at Busch Gardens Williamsburg celebrates 46 years as Busch Gardens’ most iconic attraction with a full restoration in 2024, including all-new thematic and experiential elements. Anticipated opening Spring 2024.
- After recently breaking ground on a $4.3 million expansion to its 23-acre campus, the Virginia Living Museum is constructing a 5,000 sq. ft. Wild Care Center along the museum’s outdoor boardwalk trail. The Care Center will create a literal window into the world of veterinary and preventative animal care, nutrition, and the connection between humans and the environment. Expected opening Summer 2024.
- Opened in September 2023, Sweet Run State Park is Virginia’s newest state park, an 844-acre greenspace nestled between the Blue Ridge and Short Hill mountains in far western Loudoun County. The park features 11 miles of hiking trails, nine miles of equestrian trails, two streams, dense forest and a rugged stretch of the world-famous Appalachian Trail. There is also a picnic pavilion, a “nature play area” for children and a fishing pond stocked with sunfish and largemouth bass.