|Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, openings, events and other information on this page may be canceled or postponed to a later date. Please check with the individual location or business for more details.|
The Shenandoah Valley stretches 200 miles across the Blue Ridge and Allegheny mountains. The history and heritage of the region includes many sites devoted to the pioneers who traveled westward, settled and farmed. The Shenandoah Valley features picture-perfect postcard farms and inns along country roads and the popular Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway as well as outdoor recreation, from hiking trails to paddle sports to horseback riding in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
WHAT TO DO
- In Rockingham County, Horizons Edge Sports & Event Campus opened January 18, 2020. The field house consists of approximately 90,000 sq. ft. and includes four basketball courts, six volleyball courts, a multipurpose/indoor soccer field and a family entertainment center. Outdoor facilities include a regulation size multipurpose/soccer lighted artificial turf field.
- Opening March 2020, the Stonewall Jackson House Museum’s new orientation center will be showcasing artifacts owned by the Jackson family and rarely seen by the public.
- The Miller’s House Museum, dedicated to interpreting the industrial and transportation history of the Lexington area, is adding a 2.5 x 8 ft. working model of a canal lock complete with gates, canal boat and running water.
- Downtown Lexington has been adding new business to the area including:
- Red Newt Bikes – a new bike shop dedicated to supporting the area with retail bikes, repairs and rentals.
- Journey Outdoors – a newly-opened family owned and operated outfitter store, specializing in recreational and fishing style kayaks, accessories and fishing gear.
- Sugar Maple Trading Company – a specialty items boutique store with a collection of new, vintage and handcrafted items
- fLEX Fitness Studio – a boutique fitness studio offering Spin, TRX, cross training, group fitness, functional fitness and personal training.
- The Trails at the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, opening mid-2020, will be the largest outdoor art exhibit in Virginia and will have more than three miles of trails.
- The Explore More Museum in Harrisonburg is adding a kitchen for culinary experiences and classes for children and a meeting space on its third floor.
- Downtown Harrisonburg, Oasis Fine Art and Craft and the Arts Council of the Valley will each be celebrating 20 years and a special arts festival weekend is planned for Oct. 2-4, 2020 featuring numerous performances, art creations and exhibitions.
- A brand new “Splash Pad” down at the Dr. Seide Memorial Botanical Gardens in Front Royal will be open in spring/summer of 2020. This is part of an entire revitalization project for the gardens that should be completed in the next 2-3 years.
WHERE TO EAT & DRINK
- Biteseeing Staunton is a new food tour exploring Staunton’s locally owned restaurants and specialty shops. New restaurants opening in Staunton in 2020 include Blu Point Seafood Co., 101 West Beverley – “The 101” and the Green Room.
- Shenandoah County will welcome its first cidery in March 2020. The Sage Bird Ciderworks will be located in Harrisonburg, and will use locally-sourced fruit and flavor to produce small-batch, hand-crafted hard cider.
- The Wine Room at the Taylor Pavilion features local and Virginia wine and creative light fare in an upscale setting just steps from the Old Town Winchester walking mall.
- Royalicious Bagel Bakery and Deli opened in Winchester in July 2020.
- Orkney Springs Distillery will be opening in Orkney Springs in mid-2020.
- New breweries coming to the Shenandoah Valley in 2020 include:
WHERE TO STAY
- The Blackburn Inn in Staunton will be renovating of a large historic building behind property Inn into a Wellness and Conference Center. When finished in late 2020, the Center will consist of one 6,000 sq ft meeting and banquet space, plus several other private spaces of various sizes.
- The Patton Room at The Georges Inn in Lexington is a brand new event venue available for parties, wedding receptions, corporate retreats and meetings.
- The Springston Regals at Massanutten Resort, 140 new luxury two bedroom duplex units, will be available in late 2020.
- Two new properties which will be completed in Harrisonburg in 2020: LaQuinta Inn & Suites on Pleasant Valley Road and Best Western on Neff Ave.
- Construction was just recently completed on the new Townplace Suites by Marriott in Front Royal
- A new 96-room Springhill Suites by Hilton in Winchester plans to open Feb. 2020.
- A new 83-room Comfort Inn & Suites in Winchester plans to open mid-2020.
IN OTHER NEWS
- The Depot, formerly located in Fort Defiance, is a late-1800s train depot relocated to the Valley Pike Farm Market Property in Weyers Cave and refurbished in 2019. The Depot joins the beautifully refurbished Sellers Barn, home to The Market and The Granary and where one can enjoy Sweet Creations fine candies and desserts, Virginia wine & beer offerings, crafts from local artisans and other Virginia made products.
- Stelle Rose at Staunton Station is new wedding venue at refurbished train station in Staunton.
- The Seclusion is new elegant, chic barn venue that opened in Lexington in late 2019. Nestled on 72 private acres in the majestic mountains of the Shenandoah Valley, the venue affords privacy, panoramic views of Virginia’s breathtaking beauty and luxury amenities.