|Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, openings, events and other information on this page may be canceled or postponed to a later date. Please check with the individual location or business for more details.|
Nestled in the southwest corner of the state, the Heart of Appalachia region is known for the rugged beauty of its landscapes, culture and people. Adventure abounds among roaring rivers and stunning vistas, while picturesque mountain towns draw you in with the sights, sounds and tastes of Appalachia.
WHAT TO DO
- New trails will be added in 2020 to the City of Norton’s Flag Rock Recreation Area which offers more than eight miles of trails open to mountain biking, hiking and trail running.
- After several years closed to the public, 2020 will bring the grand reopening of Pocahontas Exhibition Mine in Pocahontas. Renovations have been made to increase safety when touring the mine and will also be made to the museum. Future plans include a new restaurant.
- POW Memorial at Cedar Bluff Overlook Park was unveiled in Spring 2019. The memorial features flags from all branches of the military, as well as the state and the POW flag.
- The Tazewell Train Station is one of two remaining depots along the Clinch Valley line. A restoration and re-purposing project started in 2014 and was completed in 2019. The new Tazewell County Chamber of Commerce currently resides at the depot.
WHERE TO EAT & DRINK
- Sugar Hill Cidery, an independent family owned and operated restaurant and cidery, opened in September 2019 in the heart of Norton’s revitalized downtown district.
- The historic Mutual Pharmacy building in Big Stone Gap will soon have new life as Curklin’s, a full-service casual dining restaurant that opened fall 2019.
- Celebrity Chef Torrece Gregoire, better known as “Chef T,” opened Ina + Forbes at the Western Front Hotel in St. Paul, offering a vibrant dining and drinks experience that pushes locally sourced food into a new light. Chef T gained notoriety when she appeared on two seasons of Fox’s hit TV cooking series “Hell’s Kitchen.”
- Down Home Spirits will be opening in the Town of Haysi in mid-2020.